i'm on fire!!!

Camps are a way for a young person be it boy or girl to get away from all the crazy interruptions in this word and spend actually quality time with God rather than a quick bit here or there. Satan has us so busy and tied up in our lives that it is hard for us to spend 1 on 1 time with God. This is what God desires for us to do is the 1 on 1 time. The atmosphere in such a place is one that is God oriented. Unlike our everyday lives where it is frowned upon to spend time or even worship that which created us. The thing that continues to puzzle me is that Christianity is so looked down upon. Why is this. The heart of the message is simple. The Creator wants you to acknowledge that he is sovereign and turn your life over to him. Islam wants you to convert or be killed by the sword. Budhism wants you to live a perfect life so you can ataain the next plane. Which is easier? To admit you have flaws and live with it or try and live a perfect life?

In Christ,
Gabriel

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Christian Camps are sort of like an enterprising way of converting or persuading youths, isn't it? Why not discuss such matters with a priest? I would trust a priest far more than a camp counsellor.

Have you ever been to a Christian summer camp Jim?

Cory

The problem I see with Christian camps and the like is that the developement of faith in god can easily become dilluted by kinship and a sense of belonging with the fellow campers. Humans are a communal race, and the desire to belong or fit in is extremely strong. In such an environment, Christian campers could concievably be merely hopping on the bandwagon because of the good feeling they get when around those with similar beliefs. Of course, it's also just as possible that they could genuinely find a place with god. Personally though, I think the best way to find faith is through soley personal means. That way you know you're being true to yourself, you know?

Romans 10: 9-10

9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. 11As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame."[5] 12For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile--the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."[6]

The above post is how easy it its to be saved, as far as a band wagon, good, if we as christian can not accept those who need it most, we are not worthy of the love shown to us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The thing that continues to puzzle me is that Christianity is so looked down upon. Why is this. The heart of the message is simple.

I do not look down on Christianity. I seek plain answers. Some reasons why Christianity is looked down upon is because of the elements of extremeism. For example, Bush is about as right-wing as you can get (For all its advantages discussed on a different topic), yet minorities are treated like pond scum. Homosexuals and the poor are viewed with nothing short of snobbery. Extreme right-wing Christian elements support this.

Of course, this is reciprocated by many atheists too. Some people look down on those with religious beliefs simply because they dismiss them and their beliefs out of hand.

All in all, it tends to be extreme views on either side that cause the most misery. Christ did indeed preach a message of peace and love, and who would argue with that? According to the bible he gave his life for such a thing and it is at least worth a good look. But individuals like Bush warp this into a right-wing fantasy of white, middle class male authoritarian utopia. That had nothing to do what so ever with Christ or his teachings.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Have you ever been to a Christian summer camp Jim?

As a matter of fact, I have. I went to a Bible Study camp in the highlands when I was twelve (and still a regular churchgoer). I spent two and a half weeks. Generally, it was a nice experience, and the people were friendly, but the activities generally involved fairly comprehensive talks on various aspects of the bible. Discussions were not, in the sense of the word, discussions but more lessons (although they were described as discussions). We were allowed to ask questions, but generally we were spoken to, not spoken with. This simply made me more curious about the "Other side" of the arguments. Hence, me of today.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But individuals like Bush warp this into a right-wing fantasy of white, middle class male authoritarian utopia. That had nothing to do what so ever with Christ or his teachings.

LOL and what exactly do people like John Kerry, Bill Clinton, and JFK warp it into. Please start a new thread if you want to get into a political discusion. At least Bush has conviction and stands for what he believes.

Cory

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MontrezAnthony @ Aug. 30 2004,11:14)]The above post is how easy it its to be saved, as far as a band wagon, good, if we as christian can not accept those who need it most, we are not worthy of the love shown to us.
Buuut isn't believing out of necessity a bit different from genuinely believing? Eventually it may become that, but I think it's important to 'set the groundwork', if you will, first.

Yeah Jim, I would stay away from politics if I were you. As I'm sure you can imagine, this forum is quite rigid in that regard.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mr.Bill @ Aug. 30 2004,11:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MontrezAnthony @ Aug. 30 2004,11:14)]The above post is how easy it its to be saved, as far as a band wagon, good, if we as christian can not accept those who need it most, we are not worthy of the love shown to us.
Buuut isn't believing out of necessity a bit different from genuinely believing?  Eventually it may become that, but I think it's important to 'set the groundwork', if you will, first.
no its this easy with Jesus
Romans 10: 9-10

9That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. 11As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame."[5] 12For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile--the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."[6]

It is a matter of the human mind to make complex the simple things. And FragBoy has stumbled onto the simple. And that is how simple it is.

Hrmm, just fyi, it's generally not a good idea to respond to something that I said with a bible quotation. I'd prefer it if you'd use your own words.

As a christian and a follower of christ, I will constantly refer to the bible. What your are asking me is to affirm my faith with my teachings. I will not

I am a bible believeing christian:D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MontrezAnthony @ Aug. 30 2004,1:13)]As a christian and a follower of christ, I will constantly refer to the bible. What your are asking me is to affirm my faith with my teachings. I will not

I am a bible believeing christian:D
LOL< too funny this should read

As a christian and a follower of christ, I will constantly refer to the bible. What your are asking me is to affirm my faith with out my teachings. I will not

And I claimed to be educated, poor poor me!
tounge.gif

Yes but I am agnostic, and so bible verses have little arguementative relevance to me. Merely stating your opinion in your own words should not equate to going against your faith.... I have a feeling that the bible is not physically fused to your forehead. (alliteration!)

But you have no standard by which you derive your own opinions on, so why should it matter to you whether or not he uses bible verses to define his stance?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gods_Peon @ Aug. 30 2004,10:57)]But you have no standard by which you derive your own opinions on, so why should it matter to you whether or not he uses bible verses to define his stance?
Peon, I guess I did not make myself clear. It is true that I don't have a standard to base my morallity upon, but I do base it on something, and that is human goodness. If I didn't base it on something, I could believe whatever I want, regardless if it makes sense. I think that's what you're getting at, but I assure you it is not the case. As for Bible verses, I just don't think it makes much sense to use scripture to argue a point with an agnostic. He can define his stance however he wants to himself, but here we have to play by the same rules.

Bill I look forward to point to scripture to vailadate my points
tounge.gif
I understand you veiwpoints, But you are the very person we should be using scripture with. Not only do we get to share the good news with you, we get to valadte our faith in the process.

And for the record, We do not think you are amorale, we just think you need more scripture
biggrin.gif

This is a christian site after all

Back