LittleBigPlanet delayed

yes it makes the abc song that much more difficult to sing as zed does not rhyme with "won't you come and sing with me". We tried introducing "x,y,zed...now learn the rhyme or you'll be dead" but it didn't really have the same positive motivating message that the original did.

HAHA! Hilarious!

I don't see what the big deal about LBP is. I read a review for it, but nothing about it excited me. Someone want to share the revelation with me?

If you're not into level design, or making your own 2d platformer, or 2d platformers that have a unique art style, then I guess it wouldn't be for you. Really, to me, it's something that really hasn't been done before. You have before you an option to create anything that the developers themselves could make. All the tools they used are converted into user friendly (some of it is pretty difficult to master though) interfaces to have fun with. It's really quite incredible. A lot of the user created levels have videos up on YouTube. One person re-created the first colossus from Shadow of the Colossus :p

I think the pull is that people who are tired of FPS games on consoles are looking for something innovative. I remember when the first Lemmings came out and everyone went nuts. The big pull is that the game has infinite content.. you can play and play forever as long as people keep making games.

I don't know if I'd be really into the level building either. But I'm willing to try it. It's something that is new and different. Plus, I can just let you all build the levels and I just play them! That's my evil little plan...you work I play.

Not necessarily. It's the concept of the game that makes it innovative, adding waggle and taking away the 50 gig of space used on the blu ray to make it fit on a Wii disc would hurt it in a big way.

Last edited:
I guess the definition of innovative is different for you and I.

Innovative to me can mean how you can play a game and how the game is designed to be played.

Actually having to move to play a game is remarkable and such a "no-brainer" that it should have been done years ago.

I think it could make the game more fun.

Last edited:
But the whole way the game is played is what makes it so innovative. Creating levels to share with the WORLD makes it endlessly replayable. It wouldn't have the wealth of content that it does if it were made to fit on a smaller disc, thus making it less than what it is. If motion control is what you want, it has that too. I'm just not a big fan. I don't want to detract from games that make motion control fun and intuitive, but I think they're few and far between. Especially after playing in the beta for LBP, I can honestly say I've played nothing like it on any system. There is no real genre for what it is, and that's what makes it innovative to me.

I don't want to come across as confrontational and anti-Wii (even though I really kinda regret buying mine) and I don't have the time to finish this post right now, but I will later :D.

I'll get more into my own opinion of innovation as far as this subject goes in a little bit :D

Edit: OK!

As far as Little Big Planet goes, the fact that people have already done things the developers never intended to have happen says innovation to me. Media Molecule never intended for you to be able to build cars, buses, tanks, or anything like that and have them work, but you can. Building a level online with 3 other people (or 3 other people in your house) and then putting it up for worldwide download is quite a new concept. I just think it's really unfair to say "this game would be innovative for real if it was on the Wii" because that statement alone (to me) just is..I dunno....insulting, if anything, to the developers who spent years working on it. I just don't see how motion sensing makes something innovative, but creating a new genre more or less isn't. But that's just me. Tastes vary person to person, but I just think giving credit where credit is due is quite alright. At this point in this cycle of consoles, saying something would me more innovative with motion sensing is about as bad as saying that something isn't innovative because it doesn't have the power to handle current gen tech when it comes to design.

Last edited:
<offtopic>

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption was an amazing game and set the standard for first-person shooter controls on the Wii. The controls were the main appeal of the game, but the developers followed through with great level design, terrific graphics, and a cohesive overall design.

</offtopic>

The idea of a platformer with a built-in level editor and sharing levels online isn't truly innovative, as it's been done before. The example that immediately comes to mind is N+ for the Nintendo DS.

Just as MP3:C wasn't the first Wii title to use point-and-shoot controls for a first-person shooter, LittleBigPlanet won't be the first platformer to promote the in-game level editor and online level sharing as two of the title's main features. The difference is that both games built on an existing mechanic or concept and raised (will raise?) the standard for game development.

It's not necessarily revolutionary, but it might very well be evolutionary.

Starcraft wasn't the first real-time strategy game. Team Fortress 2 wasn't the first class-based teamplay first-person shooter. Super Mario Galaxy wasn't the first 3D console platformer. But all three games are widely recognized as setting the standard in their respective genres.

Innovation is a wonderful thing, but it's not all that matters. I'm currently playing through Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia on the Nintendo DS and I could care less that it adheres tightly to the well-established Metroidvania formula. Why? Because it's a very well-made game and fun to play.

I don't own a PS3 and, unless something drastically changes in the next 12 months, I won't be able to purchase a PS3 (or the HDTV that is pretty much required to make spending $500 on a console worthwhile) for a very long time. Still, I'm always excited to see developers taking chances on fresh titles that may set new standards in video game development.

Last edited:
It would be truly innovative if it were to come out on the Nintendo Wii...

Taking a game and slapping motion controls on it does not make it "innovative". Take a look at the force unleashed, the wii port had to be practically redesigned and ended up horrible in comparison to the ps3 and xbox versions.

I don't own a PS3 and, unless something drastically changes in the next 12 months, I won't be able to purchase a PS3 (or the HDTV that is pretty much required to make spending $500 on a console worthwhile) for a very long time. Still, I'm always excited to see developers taking chances on fresh titles that may set new standards in video game development.

It's ok. I don't own a wii, and I have yet to see anything that I want out of it. I remember when my old room mate bought one and several games. After the first month the novelty wore off and it sat on the shelf collecting dust.

You can purchase monitors that take component or HDMI in. This is the setup similar to what I have now, I plug it into my monitor then use an RCA -> 1/8 inch adapter for my headphones or speakers.

Actually pretty much all of the muti-system releases suffered a severe retardation on the Wii port (Godfather, Scarface, Starwars:FU, etc etc....)

They think that reducing the graphics and framerate is OK if you tack on some bad motion controls. The games that have done well on Wii are ones that are coded for it (Metroid, Super Mario galaxy, Boom Blox).

I would say the only port that has done well is Resident Evil 4.. and thats because the tacked on controls already had a base (quicktime events).. and it was PS2 game so they upscaled not downscaled.

After coming to this conversation late, I'll attempt to tell you why Christians probably take it more then Muslims. People have this image that Christians are just supposed to take it lying down. Other internet forums that I've run into are pretty much anti-religious (which is why I'm kinda glad I found this one OOTly speaking) If more Christians spoke up about what they believe in, I think that the world might be a better place. Even in games like WOW, you see very little Christians speak up about what they believe in. And the anti-religious fanatics we meet (the ones who are so cynical and stubborn that they shove their beliefs down your throat), well they are always there closing their ears and yelling at us about how "wrong" we are.

Personally speaking, I don't object to religious games. But general gaming is like the government, some things should avoid certain topics. It's too bad that most religious games aren't very good though, I bet there could be some head turners if the game companies actually did some decent work. I'd like a bioware Christian game, it would be fantastic I believe. But I am glad that alot of games do mention some relious references though when it comes to Christianity. Let's face it folks, when it comes to gaming and the internet, Christians do NOT get enough positive exposure.

My brother just got his automated call from GameStop this evening saying it would be available for pickup tomorrow. Which is actually earlier than Sony said it would be out. Haven't gotten my call yet, but I preordered later at this particular store than he did, so hopefully (assuming all goes well at work tomorrow night, boo to Penn State vs OSU at 8PM) I will get off work in time to drive across town to snag it :D

Indeedy (though I am not one who can spell). English English have a disdain for the letter z. The history goes that when Samuel(?) Webster, an American teacher, wrote the first American dictionary, he thought that while the English invented the language they really tried their best to complicate it, so he took to simplifying it. First s's were replaced with z's (realise to realize) and u's were taken out of a whole bunch of words (colour to color). It is generally not too much of a problem as most spell checkers will let you choose. Except word has this annoying habit of trying every way possible to force you to use US spelling and not UK spelling.

Noah Webster, I think. Just, you know, if you wanted to know.

Noah Webster, I think. Just, you know, if you wanted to know.

Ahh many thanks. I didn't think samuel sounded right. Should have gone with Mr. Webster and I would have been safe but i thought that nobody will be particularly interested in the history of dictionaries. Alas, Bonk knows all.

Ahh many thanks. I didn't think samuel sounded right. Should have gone with Mr. Webster and I would have been safe but i thought that nobody will be particularly interested in the history of dictionaries. Alas, Bonk knows all.

Alas, Bonk actually knows nothing.

My brother just got his automated call from GameStop this evening saying it would be available for pickup tomorrow. Which is actually earlier than Sony said it would be out. Haven't gotten my call yet, but I preordered later at this particular store than he did, so hopefully (assuming all goes well at work tomorrow night, boo to Penn State vs OSU at 8PM) I will get off work in time to drive across town to snag it :D

You are the second person I've heard of speak of this earlier than expected phone call. But as far as I know I did not get a call like this. I'm headed over to that side of town soon and I'll run in real fast and find out if I can pick it up.

Back