Open Discussion on the Alliance

Status
Not open for further replies.
The measure of member activity is indeed a core issue. In fact, it is one of the topics that have had a direct impact upon HsC's and HOLY's departure: alliance activity certainly waned over this past summer, which was one of the reasons they put forth.

I'm confident that we will address that issue--as well as many others ones--during the meeting this weekend. I wholly agree with Prophet Elhanan.

I htink SOe needs to address the core issues first and not worrya bout active vs inactive..(points back to eski's previous post)

I agree HCS. If SoE feels the need to restructure they can do so. While the idea of having one giant Guild is a good one, it limits growth. It would be far better to have five or six guilds of 250 people than one guild of 250 people.

Anyway, the core issues still stand. I am waiting to see what the leadership of SoE does to change things (i.e. keeping the other Alliance leaders informed of the goings on, taking action for items within the Alliance faster, seeing about planning activities. etc)

And yet, it takes two ENTIRE GUILDS LEAVING for things to get done. HsC and HOLY should NOT have left. They should have stayed. It is NOT right!

Bonnie, many people here have politely asked you to drop the issue and yet you continue to spout off. This is extremely rude, but yet that is what we have come to expect from you and the reason many folks in the alliance have you on ignore.

Please respect the rules of this forum or you risk being shut out.

And yet, it takes two ENTIRE GUILDS LEAVING for things to get done. HsC and HOLY should NOT have left. They should have stayed. It is NOT right!
Bonnie, you've stated your opinion. Restating it does not change the outcome. You cannot say that they "should NOT have left" because they felt led to do this by our Lord. Please refrain from posting unless you have something constructive to contribute.

I'd like to address Eskimo Pie's comments:
While the idea of having one giant Guild is a good one, it limits growth. It would be far better to have five or six guilds of 250 people than one guild of 250 people.
The game mechanics of Guild Wars limits membership to 100 players. Having 250 people in one guild is unobtainable. If we continue as an alliance, we'll have to have multiple guilds.

Anyway, the core issues still stand. I am waiting to see what the leadership of SoE does to change things (i.e. keeping the other Alliance leaders informed of the goings on, taking action for items within the Alliance faster, seeing about planning activities. etc)
The key to all of this is communication. We tried having an alliance forum on Xfire but it hasn't worked out well. I posted the following comments earlier in this thread but it probably got lost:
If we continue as an alliance, in addition to having regular meetings in TS, I think it is critical to create an alliance leadership forum under the CGA banner (because I don't think GFC is part of ToJ? All these various groups and subgroups confuse me... lol). I don't mind paying for a domain name and point it to the alliance forum to make it easier to find. We currently have an alliance forum over on xfire, but it stinketh as it lacks functionality.
It is imperative that we create an alliance forum that is easy to use and easily accessible by alliance members. I think most of the officer's preferences would be to have the alliance forum hosted by CGA. I envision a general alliance forum, one for guild officers, and one just for the guild leaders. How do we set this up? HCS, can you set this up? Does Tek7 have to approve it? I'm still relatively new to CGA, so I don't know the procedures.

One thing I'd like to point out in Derk's defense regarding HsC and HOLY. The only time concerns were posted were in the Xfire SoE Alliance officer's forum. Not once did a guild leader send him an in-game whisper or a PM here. A PM would have popped up in his email and he might have been able to respond quicker. As such, he simply didn't know of the most recent issues because real life has been keeping him busy. This is, after all, just a game and family and work must take priority. Communication is key and for something critical, all methods should be used. Someone asked me why we SoE/SOE officers didn't tell him. I made the inaccurate assumption that the guild leaders communicate among themselves and that PM's and whispers had occurred. It didn't occur to me that the only place concerns were posted was in the Xfire alliance forum.

Regarding events, dorkelf, Mirawyn and dredd are trying to organize PvP events. Please attend if you can.

It's easy to do that..since SOe is the lead guild in the alliance make hte official alliance forum here in the soe area. It's easily accessible and well established. There is absolutly no need for another domain. Also GFC is GFC not TOJ or anyone else. This type of continuing disconnect is one reason the alliance is foundering. Let's Keep it simple. Use the current SOE forums as hte alliance forums..then SOE doesn't have to manage another forums..There's no need for another domain...simply link to the forums on the existing SOE website..SOE is part of toj so SOE having their own domain nfirst is redunadant and secondly SOE is NOT independent of TOJ..they are part and parcel UnDER TOJ's purview.

Aleron,

If you want another forum created(not sure it's relaly needed) tlak to elihu(toj staff manager) and him and TeK will discuss it. Elihu can create forums if it's approved.

Last edited:
I don't mind whether the Alliance has its own forum or if we just continue using this one here. I can understand if you guys would like to have a dedicated forum so Alliance-specific stuff isn't infringing on your personal guild area, and I also like how you phrase it as coming together under more of a CGA banner which is something I would wholeheartedly support. If you're only considering it for GFC's convenience though, well that is really nice of you but probably not all that necessary as we've already been proactive in dealing with this. We have a direct link in our own forums to get here and I've been kind of the unofficial guild secretary trying to keep up with the news each day and bringing it over to GFC to keep everyone informed.

In re-reading what you're proposing though, I now see that you're talking about a leadership only forum and I'm not in any leadership position within my guild so the above opinion is only meant to pertain to the general membership side of things.

It's easy to do that..since SOe is the lead guild in the alliance make hte official alliance forum here in the soe area. It's easily accessible and well established. Use the current SOE forums as hte alliance forums..then SOE doesn't have to manage another forums..There's no need for another domain...simply link to the forums on the existing SOE website..SOE is part of toj so SOE having their own domain nfirst is redunadant and secondly SOE is NOT independent of TOJ..they are part and parcel UnDER TOJ's purview.

Aleron,

If you want another forum created(not sure it's relaly needed) tlak to elihu(toj staff manager) and him and TeK will discuss it. Elihu can create forums if it's approved.
Our SoE website is virtually defunct. It hasn't been updated in two years.
I probably wasn't clear in communicating what I'm thinking. I envision possibly three subforums under the "Guild Wars Chapter Forums." One for general alliance concerns and chat. If we do it within the "SoE/SOE Main," alliance specific threads could get lost. At a minimum, however, I'd like to see an SoE Alliance Officer's subforum, to have a central location for alliance officers to communicate and post their concerns. If the leaders of each guild also desire a subforum just for them, then maybe create an SoE Alliance Leader's subforum.

I thought about placing it elsewhere in the CGA forums, but it would probably be confusing to other CGA members.

If that can't be done, I'll go ahead and reserve a domain name (for the alliance, not SoE) and create some forums. I've done it in the past at very little cost (only the domain name). My latest forum is a site I created for Christians doing BOINC projects at World Community Grid: http://www.christiansagainstcancer.com It is phpBB3. I'd rather have the forums here at CGA, however.

Also GFC is GFC not TOJ or anyone else. This type of continuing disconnect is one reason the alliance is foundering. Let's Keep it simple.
Yep, I think all of us know that GFC is not under ToJ, nor is LoL, WWJD or FoG is.

bedfore you reserve a domain remember SOe is part of TOJ and therefore needs to be approved through elihu and tek. it is this scattershot approach that has led to massive issues in other TOJ chapters in the past. There is no need for another domain. SOE has a great framework..what broke was the people..not thee forums, ts or anything technological.This means there's no need for another domain or anything like that.

Since you brought it up..you said the SOE website hasn't been updated isn't it incumbent on the leadership of SOE to address this? You have the access(ask elihu) and SOe leadership should be taking hte lead in getting it updated..or delegating that out to somebody within SOE. Instead of trying to add more gadgets use the well placed gadgets that already exist. They may be a bit tarnished but they are far form so badly rusted they can't be used.

Aleron - I didn't even know there was an SoE website. I don't think I have ever been there.

I do visit the forums through CGA. I have to agree with HCS - there is an alliance forum for general discussion and for staff only - separate from the GW SoE forums. Actually a level above the GW SoE forums (if I am using the proper terminology). Those are designated for alliance use. If they had been used by others - rather than the xfire forum - we might have been hearing about this long before the recent traffic.

I think communication would have been fine if people had used the same means of communication.

Thanks - I think I have seen that site before. If we had a basic Joomla site that several people had permission to update - we could keep something current.

why not talk to elihu and tek about getting access to that one and keeping it updated? Just because it's not joomla doesn't mean you can't learn how to operate what's there. IIRC it's part of a CMs already just not joomla. Again it's incumbent on the SOE leadership to get that sie updaed. Talk to Elihu about how the current one works and get it updated instead of basically saying..it's not joomla so we can't get it updated...that's a cop-out.

I'm not copping out - I agree with you.

If the front end is designed properly it doesn't take much maintenance to have it looked "lived in" - updates, a few links and a little text is all it takes.

Joomla is just the easiest I've seen to update - for the non-HTML person.

I'm not copping out - I agree with you.

If the front end is designed properly it doesn't take much maintenance to have it looked "lived in" - updates, a few links and a little text is all it takes.

Joomla is just the easiest I've seen to update - for the non-HTML person.

Let me ask this abba are you leadership in SOE? If not then i apologize as you have been catching the canon blasts..however my statements still stand as being directed at the leadership of SOE.

I am - as of the end of May or the first of June. A couple of us were added then. I don't mind the canon blasts. And I won't pull an Obama - saying, "It was them, not me." It doesn't matter how it came to be - the current leadership owns it and has to deal with it.

All of this alliance stuff is new to me from a few weeks ago. People had pretty much made their decision to leave when I first heard there was a problem. I'm so new I don't even know the basics. You see me asking about how to warn and ban. I can reply to an PM but I don't even know how to initiate one in this forum setup.

We - the officers - are meeting this afternoon. We are going to meet regularly. We are going to make the tough decisions. We are going to communicate better.

Personally - I haven't experienced problems in these areas. Then, again, until recently I had not differentiated between CGA - TOJ - SOE. As a member all that was "above" me. I have often commented on what a good job the leadership has been doing. I think they do, in fact, do a good job.

There is this one area that has festered for too long. I don't know if it was swept under the rug - forgotten - not seen as a problem - or missed because of the forums used. I didn't even know it was SOE's responsibility to maintain alliance relationships. I thought SOE was just one of several guilds in the Guild Wars section.

Pray for us this afternoon - 4:00PST.

Hescominsoon - is there a place to see who the leadership is - in CGA, ToJ, and each of the tribes and guilds?

well CGA is run by TEK7..he also runs TOJ..but TOJ also has a second in command who is Elihu. SOE is under TOJ(just look at the forum structure on the main forums page). SOE is not independent of TOJ but they are given wide latitude. I think you as an SOE leader needs to get a hold of TEK and elihu via pm and tlak to them BEFORE SOE does anything. i don't think SOE fully understands their role in the TOJ heierarchy.

BTw I take it this is an officers only meeting? If so that's fine..:)

Let me try to simplify things:
the CGA is an umbrella organization that seeks to bring together Christian gamers into a central area so we all can fellowship and help each other reach the workd for Christ

TOJ is an organization to itself(head to toj.cc and read up there). They are a member of the CGA(jsut like the GFC and The Forgiven who have their forums here) and several other organizations who don't ahve their forums here.

SOE is a chpater of TOJ. which is why the SOE's forums are here..due to SOE being a chapter of(not an independent organization like GFC) their forums are under the TOJ cection of the forums. TOJ uses these forums because they chose too..there's nothing in the CGA charter saying toj HAS to use the cga resources.

GFC is led by The_Great_Eskimo_Pie. I am a member of the GFC who jsut so happens to be the cga forums admin. I was the forums admin before GFC was birthed. My responses in this thread are as a GFC member not the forums admin(it can get hard for folks to differentiate the two)..

LOL - ya think? That was a helpful response - thanks.

So GFC is on the level of ToJ - and I was thinking GFC was under ToJ on the same level as SoE. And under ToJ at some point in the past SoE was given a lead role in maintaining alliance relationships? That is why people are looking to SoE to make some decisions?

Okay - technical - how do we bounce a few things off Tek7? or Elihu? if they are not friends in my message center? just enter their name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back