FOOD AGAIN!!!!!!

Ok I discovered a place the other day that makes a decent one of these, not superior, or great mind you, but decent. Which considering it is in part of the Appalachians is pretty amazing, I hadn't had one in a long time so it was a bit of a treat.

Gyros

Not talking about a sub sandwich, or a grinder, but one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyro_(food). They even had real tzatziki sauce.
The weird thing was that it wasn't a Greek restaurant, or sandwich shop, but a doughnut shop of all things.

Last edited:
They're a dime-a-dozen around here. . .too bad I don't really care for Greek cuisine.

FIFM

Yeah we have a good sized greek population around here. Most of the mom and pop pizza joints do some great gyros (I don't frequent many of the Greek/Mediterranean restaurants that often). I haven't indulged in a while because I usually can't go near my wife for a few days after eating one but they are fabulous.

Being one of the few chains around here with Mountain Dew on tap, I'm on board enough with it. Not my favorite ever, but I can't complain about the price (yay Meal Deals for two-something), and it's surprisingly enough tastier than most of the other Mexican food options I've had around here so far.

Remember for those in the southwest and on the left coast you can compare them to gut buster trucks too.

I miss both the southwest and left coast for that very reason. Portland was a lot of things, but my favorite city was not one of them. That said, the local Mexican chain Muchas Gracias has ruined me with regards to expectations for Mexican food. Easily the thing I miss most about that metroplex. lol

Remember for those in the southwest and on the left coast you can compare them to gut buster trucks too.
I have no idea what gut buster trucks are.

I love Taco Bell. But they aren't Mexican food. They kinda have their own flavor. Of course, with my proximity to Mexico I am blessed with real Mexican food on almost every corner (not that all of them are good, but the one 3 blocks from my house makes the best bean and cheese I have ever had).

Edit: Wait. Gut Buster Trucks = Roach coaches = Mobile Food Poisoning? I.E. Food trucks that roam around to different places of employment?

Last edited:
Yah Patriot ya got it. In some places certain Taco Trucks are well respected and well known for high quality and good taste, so I wanted to be as fair as I could. My better half took a Mexican lady and her kids to T Bell for the first time a few weeks ago. The biggest disappointment to the kids? The Mexican "pizza". Being stationed at Ft. Bliss many years ago, I don't call it Mexican food either. Edible yes, Mexican no.

edit: I did discover that at some small Taquerias Anglos were not welcome.

Last edited:
...and yet still more flavorful than the offerings I've found here in Florida's Gulf Coast. Sad. :(

Someone send me some legit Mexican food? Please? :D

Last edited:
Taco Bell isn't bad. I lived on it through most of college because there was one right off campus and at the time they charged less than $.50 for a taco, so I could get a meal for a couple bucks. There are a lot of restaurants in Toledo so we have quite a variety of choices. There was even a German/Mexican restaurant but I don't think they did either particularly well. Most of the Mexican restaurants make their name on their Margarettas.

Ribs are too much work for too little pay off for me. Yeah, they taste great, but it takes so much to get the meat off the bone. I prefer pulled pork or smoked/barbequed pork tenderloin.

Work and messy though they may be, I love me some ribs. I just can't eat them with civilized company.

...though I honestly feel the same about buffalo wings.

Back